There are few towns in Vermont with an identity as unique as Stowe's. European touches abound throughout the hotels, lodges and bed-and-breakfasts that dot Mountain Road.
And next weekend that flair will be on display at the 15th annual Stowe Oktoberfest. Jackson Arena (Park Street) will be transformed into a Bavarian village for this celebration of the harvest and fall foliage, though we tend to think the harvest part takes a back seat these days.
Bavarian foods, Vermont-brewed beers and oompah bands will kick off from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. Sept. 23, and then 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sept. 24 and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept 25. The Grand Parade will step off at 10 a.m. Sept. 24 along Mountain Road and Main Street. (Go to StoweOktoberfest.com.)
The Trapp Family Lodge (700 Trapp Hill Road) will follow up with its own Oktoberfest on Oct. 1 from 2 to 11 p.m. The Trapp property (see: “The Sound of Music”) includes 2,500 acres overlooking the village of Stowe, with perfect views of the Green Mountains.
But that's just the tip of the festival iceberg. Check out these foliage/fall events on tap:
• Colors of the Kingdom Festival, St. Johnsbury,
• Vermont Fine Furniture & Woodworking Festival, Woodstock,
Sept. 24; vermontwood festival.org
• Burke Foliage Festival and the fifth annual Burke Mountain Music Festival, Sept. 24; www.skiburke.com/main/?p=938
• Pumpkin & Apple Celebration at the Billings Farm & Museum, Woodstock, Oct. 1-2; www.billingsfarm .org/programs-events/ special_events/pumpkin_apple.html
• Killington Brewfest, Killington, Oct. 1; www.killington.com/summer/activities/mountain_events/Killing ton_Brewfest
• Green Mountain Foliage Festival at Sugarbush, Warren, Oct. 2; www.fs.fed .us/r9/forests/greenmoun tain/htm/greenmountain/links/press/docs/weeks_act_posterR3_08232011.pdf
• Columbus Day Weekend & 50th Anniversary Kick Off, Stratton Mountain Resort, Oct. 7-9; www.stratton.com/events/columbusday_50thkickoff.htm
• Discover Wine and Food, Smugglers' Notch Resort, Jeffersonville, Oct. 8; www.smuggs.com/pages/univer sal/press/discoverfoodand wine.php
• Mount Snow OktoBrewFest, West Dover, Oct. 8-9; www.mountsnow.com/events/event-calendar/